Thursday 5 July 2012

Review | DIY Body Scrub

Yesterday I made a sugar body scrub from ingredients around my house (Click here to view my tutorial on how to make your own body scrub). After using it in my shower today, I decided to let you all know how I got on with it.

As background information, I've been a big fan of Soap and Glory's Flake Away Scrub for a few months now, so will be comparing my scrub to both it and Along Came Betty's Hey Sugar Sugar scrub. I used my scrub as the first step in my shower, before cleansing my body. I applied a grape sized amount to each zone of my body (calves, thighs, stomach, arms, chest, back) when the skin was damp and rubbed it into my skin with circular motions. Initially I was worried that the scrub was a little harsh, but due to the properties of the sugar it provided just the right level of abrasion as the granules only disappeared when I felt my skin was well exfoliated. It's rate of dissolving was similar to the Along Came Betty scrub but was faster than Soap and Glory's scrub as it contains peach seed powder which is insoluble. I actually preferred the fact that my scrub dissolved completely as I sometimes felt that I over exfoliated my skin with the Soap and Glory scrub.

The part that impressed me the most about this scrub however, was the feel it left on the skin. The oil remained on the skin throughout my shower which protected my legs from shaving - I usually get nicks and razor rash but I had no side effects to this today apart from silky smooth legs! Shaving removed most of the oil from my legs but any shower gel will also do the job nicely.

After drying off, there was an ever so slight residue on my legs, which soaked in within fifteen minutes. My legs tend to take the longest for moisturiser or fake tan to absorb in so this might just be me. It absorbed nearly instantly into my arms and upper body, leaving my skin super soft and hydrated.

In comparison, I would rate my scrub above Along Came Betty's scrub purely for the protection it gave me from shaving and the fact it was a little more exfoliating. It was on a par with Soap and Glory's scrub - performing as well on the exfoliating front but leaving the lovely residue that hydrated my skin. Soap and Glory's scrub has a gorgeous scent however, and will obviously have a longer shelf life due to the preservatives in it.

Overall, I'm a big fan of my scrub and will use it any time I can't purchase any of Soap and Glory's scrub and any time I shave my legs! Let me know in the comments how well you got on with your own sugar or salt scrubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment